Saturday, November 26, 2011

IPhone trade in for water damaged Units

I'll get an iPhone trade in, come hell or high water. My life was perfectly fine until I dropped my brother's iPhone to the wash bowl one unlucky night. I was up to brush my teeth when I decided to pose for a picture. I did not know what happened to my hand but the phone just slipped so the running water from the open faucet soaked it.

I freaked out and I was like paralyzed with fear! My brother will surely get mad about this disaster. I am not sure how long it stayed swimming in the water but I think it was about 30 seconds. I managed to get it and dry its outer part with the bath towel. I was having a hard time controlling myself to turn the iPhone on since I wanted to check if it was still working but I was too scared so I left it as it was.

I rushed to my laptop and looked for the best way to deal with the situation. I found a lot of user articles by people who share the same problem I had. They instructed to keep the phone off to avoid short-circuit, dry it with a hair blower on low heat and then put it in a rice bag. I tried following the instructions with the hope of saving the iPhone and saving myself from my brother's rage.

Panicking and completely freaked out, I check the sensors to know if there's still water in it. To my horror, it was pink! Deadly pink. I was losing my grip because I can't come up with a solution on my own. So I decided to go to my brother's room and come clean.

I got a good amount of scolding. If there is one thing I like about my brother, it would be that he easily considers unintentional mishaps as water under the bridge. After all his rants, we checked the phone and searched the internet for solutions again. He told me to look for an iPhone trade in.

My brother wanted an iPhone trade in because he did not want to experience problems that came with using water damaged phone. Even if the phone was still functional, (which I think is because of the rice bag trick) he wanted to make sure that he would not be bothered by the after effects of the water damage, should any manifest. Rather than sending the phone to Millieamp, a repair shop, he decided to have his iPhone trade in for cash to buy a new one.

So, we looked for a refurbishing site where we can make a deal. We found cashforiphones.com and started reading all about it. As soon as we were satisfied knowing its terms, conditions and satisfactory service, we decided to avail of its iPhone trade in service.
Their iPhone trade in service looked neat. They offer speedy service without having to pay for the shipping fee. We were offered a quote with the amount of $325. It was a big amount but we knew that the offer might go down lower since it has been water damaged. We were not able to indicate how the incident happened so we weren't keeping our hopes high.

Still, we went on with the process for iPhone trade in and waited for the pre-paid box to be delivered to us. The box came Wednesday, 2 days after signing up for the offer. We fixed the package and sent the iPhone on the same day. We were expecting to receive a fair amount from this iPhone trade in. His unit was an iPhone 4 16GB.

As expected, the company, (the experts that they were) thoroughly assessed the effects of the water damage incident and found out that some parts were defective. To begin with, I really didn't have high hopes because water damage is one of the worst gadget conditions. They offered us a new quote for about $269. We ultimately said yes and completed the iPhone trade in transaction.

My brother now owns an iPhone 4 32 GB which he bought immediately a week after in the Apple store for $299. He did not have to pay for repair charges that will cost him more than a hundred bucks. Indeed, it was a great choice to avail of the iPhone trade in. As for myself, I still borrow my brother's iPhone once in a while but I am definitely being extra careful and stay away from water receptacles.


0

No comments:

Post a Comment